I am based in Letterkenny, Donegal where I am a serving Letterkenny Town Councillor and Donegal County Councillor. I am married to Mary (nee Galligan) and we have a family of four – Michael, Amy, Lochlainn and Saidbh. I also run my own business, Harte Insurances, which I set up at the age of 24 and which now has offices in Letterkenny and Raphoe. I grew up in Raphoe, and am a son of Rosaleen and Paddy, who is a former TD.
I was first elected to Letterkenny Town Council in 1994 and subsequently to Donegal County Council, where I am currently chairperson of the Letterkenny-Milford Electoral Area. I am also the current Deputy Mayor of Letterkenny town.
During my time on the local authority, I have been involved in many key developments and projects which have considerably benefited Letterkenny and the surrounding areas. I am vocal on planning, development, housing and environmental issues, while my experience as a father means I have first-hand knowledge of dealing with the education system. I enjoy being a local representative in Donegal and am active on many fronts. Some of my experience past and present includes:
– Current Deputy Mayor of Letterkenny
– Director of the Simon Community North West
– Member of the HSE Forum for the West
– Chairman of Letterkenny Electoral Area 2009/10
– Member of Donegal County Council SPC on Housing
– Member of Joint Policing Committee of Letterkenny Town Council
– Former director of the Errigal Arts Festival
– Former Chairperson and Secretary of Finn Harps FC
I am also a keen sportsman, and have run 12 marathons in recent years, raising over €30,000 for charities in the process, including MS Ireland, Autism Donegal, Aware, Grow, Spina Bifida Ireland and Children in Crossfire.